Terms and Conditions of Consignment
Information for Potential Sellers
Baldwin's Auctions have a long standing history of achieving great results through the sale of individual collections by auction. We have, over the years, handled some of the most prestigious and extensive collections using our broad specialist knowledge and marketing expertise to ensure best results for our vendors. The very personal service provided by our team ensures our vendors are consulted every step of the way
Our auction catalogues are produced to the highest possible standard. Expertly researched and beautifully illustrated they are an excellent selling tool for your collection and can be personalised to create a lasting record.
Our catalogues reach a vast international clientèle which is constantly augmented by our presence at international coin shows including London, New York, Munich, Singapore and Hong Kong. This promises favourable results when we auction your coins.
Our seller commission begins at 15% (+VAT) but may be reduced for items of high value or whole collections. Please ask a member of staff for more details. This is the only charge that applies. We make no charge for photography, storage or insurance and there is no fee for lots that do not sell.
Baldwin's are pleased to offer free verbal valuations of your coins, medals and banknotes and also clear independent guidance for their sale by auction or direct purchase.
At the point of consignment you will receive a signed receipt which details our conditions of sale. You will receive a full listing of your items in the sale and a free copy of the printed catalogue at least three weeks before the sale date.
Payment to sellers takes place between 30 and 45 days after the date of the sale. Consignors are not required to pay any money before the auction as all charges are deducted from the final settlement.
Conditions of Business applying to Vendors
1. The Vendor warrants to A. H. Baldwin & Sons Ltd ("the Auctioneer") that he/she is the true owner of the property or is properly authorised to sell the property by the owner, and is able to transfer good and marketable title to the property free from any third party claims or encumbrances. The Vendor will indemnify A. H. Baldwin & Sons Ltd, its servants and agents and the buyer against any loss or damage suffered by either in consequence of any breach of these conditions on the Vendor's part.
2. The Vendor authorises A. H. Baldwin & Sons Ltd to deduct 15% commission (plus VAT or other sales tax where appropriate) from the hammer price, unless otherwise agreed, and acknowledges A. H. Baldwin & Sons Ltd's right to retain the buyer's premium. The commission covers all additional expenses such as photography, insurance and advertising.
3. A. H. Baldwin & Sons Ltd may, at their discretion, decline to offer for sale any items submitted by the Vendor which the Auctioneers consider not to be appropriate for their auctions, or where there is reasonable doubt as to the attribution of a lot as described in the catalogue.
4. The Vendor shall be entitled to place a reserve on any lot prior to the auction, which must be received in writing by the Auctioneers. Where a reserve exceeds the published estimate A. H. Baldwin & Sons Ltd may, at their discretion, withdraw the lot from the sale. There is no charge for unsold lots except where a lot remains unsold due to the Vendor placing a "non-agreed" reserve on a lot, in which case the Auctioneers may, at their discretion, reserve the right to charge the Vendor 5% of the figure at which the lot was bought in. Where a reserve has been placed, A. H. Baldwin & Sons Ltd may, on behalf of the Vendor, bid up to that reserve. A reserve must be received by the Auctioneers at least one week prior to the date of sale.
5. The Vendor authorises A. H. Baldwin & Sons Ltd to sell any unsold lots by private treaty following the auction, for a price equal to the agreed reserve (subject to the usual A. H. Baldwin & Sons Ltd deductions such as commission and VAT).
6. A vendor who sends items for sale which are an asset of his business must disclose to the Auctioneers whether or not he/she is registered for VAT and if so, his registered number. This should be given to A. H. Baldwin & Sons Ltd on or before delivery of the goods.
7. The cost of illustration is included in the Auctioneer's commission. However A. H. Baldwin & Sons Ltd reserve the right to use photographs for publicity before and after the sale, &c, without consulting the Vendor.
8. All items delivered to A. H. Baldwin & Sons Ltd for auction shall be covered by Baldwin's Auctions' insurance. The value of such goods shall be the amount realised at auction net of the Auctioneer's usual charges, or if loss or damage should occur prior to auction, the value which the specialised staff of A. H. Baldwin & Sons Ltd estimate to be the value of such goods net of all charges had a sale occurred.
9. Settlement will be made by means of a crossed account payee cheque drawn in sterling on an account at the National Westminster Bank, unless otherwise instructed by the Vendor. For United Kingdom sales, settlement will be made one calendar month from the date of sale. For sales Overseas settlement will be made no later than 60 days from the date of sale.
10. By delivering these goods to A. H. Baldwin & Sons Ltd for auction, and signing this form, the Vendor acknowledges that he/she has agreed to be bound by these Conditions.