WW2 RNVR Officer’s DSC group for Aegean LRDG & SAS operations, who personally accepted the German surrender of the island of Kalimnos. A fascinating Special Forces group of five awarded to Temporary Lieutenant Richard Hylton DSC, RNVR. Distinguished Service Cross, GVIR. Hallmarked London 1948, the reverse officially dated 1945; 1939-45 Star; Atlantic Star, Italy Star, War Medal, unnamed as issued. DSC in Garrard case, medals loose lightly toned, very fine.
Distinguished Service Cross London Gazette14th August 1945. For gallantry and devotion to duty in operations which led to the clearance of the Aegean and relief of Greece.
Richard (Dick) Hylton born Leeds 1919; attended Bridlington Boys School. He was an articled clerk in Leeds when war was declared. He joined the Royal Navy as an Ordinary Seaman serving on a US destroyer on Atlantic convoy duties; promoted Able Seaman he carried out mine laying duties in Scottish waters. He was commissioned and volunteers for “special services”.
He subsequently served as a Sub. Lt on Motor Launch 291 on escort duty in the Channel before being despatched to commission Motor Launch 1307 which joined a special flotilla based in Alexandria. Their task centred on the Long Range Desert Group and Special Boat Service. They ferried these Special Forces throughout the occupied Aegean islands at night and later picked them up after lying up under camouflage netting during the day and had many lucky escapes. After being charged with accepting the surrender of Kalimnos he was posted to Salonika as Resident Naval Officer. He left the Navy after the war and became a chartered accountant. He passed away in 2012.
Sold with corresponding miniatures mounted as worn. Together with an archive of papers and photographs whilst on operations, DSC letter from the Admiralty, Buckingham Palace letter and locally made good luck horseshoe badge from Motor Launch 1307. The medals are accompanied by the original “Top Secret” Operation Order for Operation R10, a clandestine attack from infiltrated operatives in Western Cyclades with original hand-drawn maps of landings.