Great Britain, Warwickshire, Birmingham, Peter Kempson (1755-1824, buttonmaker, later token manufacturer, at St Mary’s Row, Birmingham, later Little Charles Street; he was actively involved in the production of tokens from 1791 until 1799, turning out more than 60 tons of “legitimate provincial coins” for various commissions, and freely muled dies in his possession, producing a variety of tokens for sale to collectors), Brass Halfpenny Trade Token, undated (c.1797), obverse: a large building, BLUE COAT CHARITY SCHOOL above, ENLARGED 1794 in exergue (The Blue Coat School is a preparatory school for children aged 2 to 11; the school was founded in 1722, in 1930 it moved from the northeast corner of St Philip’s Square to its current location on Somerset Road, on the border between Edgbaston and Harborne), reverse: type three, shield of arms, MAKER OF BUTTONS MEDALS &c. BIRMINGHAM around, P. KEMPSON. above, P of P. KEMPSON aligns over space between O and F of OF, stop after KEMPSON, edge plain, diam. 29mm (Dalton & Hamer “The Provincial Token Coinage of the 18th Century” 197a).
Good extremely fine and retaining much original brilliance, especially on the reverse, some toning, rare.
Ex Daniels Collection
Ex Baldwin’s Basement Collection, Baldwin’s Auction 102, September 2016, lot 2088