George IV, Brighton, Dedication of St. Peter’s Church, AE medal

Item Reference: C190013336 Sold Share
George IV, Brighton, Dedication of St. Peter’s Church, AE medal, undated (1828) (57.5mm.) by Joseph Langridge, Jr. (1812-1895), much in the style of the Weiner medals. Façade of the church,…
Read more

£145.00

Out of stock

Description

George IV, Brighton, Dedication of St. Peter’s Church, AE medal, undated (1828) (57.5mm.) by Joseph Langridge, Jr. (1812-1895), much in the style of the Weiner medals. Façade of the church, in ex. DEDICATED BY PERMISSION TO THE REV H. M. WAGNER A.M. VICAR OF BRIGHTON. Rev. The church’s interior.

Extremely Fine, rev. better.

St. Peter’s Church was designed by [Sir] Charles Barry and is arguably one of the finest examples of Gothic revival in the country and is often referred to ‘as Brighton’s cathedral. The foundation stone laid on 8 May 1824 and was opened on 24 January 1828. The first incumbent was the Rev. Thomas Cooke (1791-1874) who was a close friend of Henry Wagner (1792-1870) named on the medal and vicar of Brighton (1824-1870) at the parish church of St. Nicholas. The church seated 1,800 people of which half were free seats. The hexagonal apse, seen on the medal, was removed in 1890.

Specification

Date 1828
Medallion Group

Commemorative Medals

Medallion Category

Great Britain

Metal

Bronze

Size (mm)

57

Contact us

Tel: +44 (0)20 7930 6879
coins@baldwin.co.uk

Newsletter

Receive updates on our latest coins & medals and be the first to hear about our special offers.

Follow Us

Follow us on social media for
unmissable posts and updates…