London, St. James’s, (Westminster). Edward Lloyd AE Halfpenny nd. Building / Triad, denom. (N
8900; D 2522A; BW. Uncertain 50; Berry, BNJ 1982, pp.158-60). About Very Fine, good patination.
Edward Lloyd was a ‘sutler’ (provisions provider) supplying food and drink to soldiers of the 1st or Royal Regiment
of Foot Guards, newly formed in 1665, which devolved later into the Grenadier Guards. The first quartermaster
of the regiment was a John Lloyd, appointed on 15 July 1665, who held the post until 3 August 1667. The style of
the token, although undated, would date it almost exactly to this period.